Los Angeles Federal Crimes Attorney
Charged with a Federal Crime? You Need a Federal Lawyer
Staying on top of local and state regulations can be tough enough for a business. Federal regulations bring a whole new layer of complexity. We encounter many clients who find themselves on the wrong side of federal law purely by coincidence. Businesses and individuals have a duty to stay abreast of what’s legal and what’s not, but it’s extremely unfortunate when people to face long prison terms and hefty fines due to a mistake.
If you or your business is faced with federal charges of any kind, it’s essential that you enlist a legal team that is well-versed in federal law. Trying a federal case is nothing like dealing with courts at the state and local levels.
Call Wex Law today at (213) 986-9844 to discuss your options with an experienced Los Angeles federal crimes lawyer.
Get Your Defense Started Before You Get Charged
Most people think that a criminal defense begins following an arrest, but the most effective defenses begin before formal charges are brought. Federal investigations often take weeks, months, or sometimes years before the first arrest is made. Anyone who has been contacted by a federal agency or suspects that they may be under federal investigation should immediately consult with an attorney because it is much easier to nip the charges in the bud than it is to wait for formal charges. In addition, by contacting an attorney early in the investigation, that attorney may save your current employment.
A qualified federal crimes attorney can use this opportunity to review your situation and assess what liability you may be open to. One clue that you may be under investigation is a visit from law enforcement seeking an informal interrogation, where they ask questions and try to gather information. You are under no obligation to answer these questions, and should not do so without consulting a lawyer first.
As laid out in Section 1001 of Title 18 of the United States Code, it is against the law to lie to a federal agent. You can be prosecuted for incorrectly answering questions about potential wrongdoing. Even a simple statement of innocence can be used against you down the line. In fact, many times what you may consider to be a simple statement of innocence may be all that law enforcement needs to make an arrest - because what you thought was a statement involving consent was all that law enforcement needed to put you at the time and place. It would be up to the jury to determine the validity of consent, not law enforcement.
By turning to an attorney, you have the best opportunity of ending the investigation before charges are ever brought. And if you are arrested for a federal crime, your attorneys will have a head start on building your defense and bringing your ordeal to a successful conclusion.
Our Team Gets Results
No matter what stage your case is currently in, at Wex Law, we’re ready to jump in and make a difference. Our firm focuses on getting positive results while providing you peace of mind that your case is being handled in a professional manner.
Our track record includes:
- Avoided Charges. By acting quickly and aggressively, Wex Law has repeatedly helped clients avoid criminal charges altogether.
- Obtained Bond. It can be more complicated for arrested individuals to post bond in a federal case, and we’ll work with our clients to ensure they can be released while their case works its way through the system.
- Dismissed Charges. Just because you have been formally charged with a federal crime doesn’t mean you will go to trial. We will actively engage prosecutors to get charges dropped before a trial ever happens.
- Charges Reduced. When you are first charged with a federal crime and learn of the severe penalties, it can be overwhelming. A reduction of charges to lesser crimes can be a victory in your case, helping to lower the potential punishments early on in the process.
- Settlements Reached. Sometimes the best option for a client is to come to a settlement prior to trial. This can help avoid jail time, lower the amount of fines you have to pay, and lower your overall legal fees. We will look to make a settlement if and only if you agree this is the best course of action.
- Prevailed in Court. Our lawyers are fully prepared to go to trial and prevail when necessary, and you can rest assured that we have a strong record of success in federal cases.
- Successful Appeals. A case doesn’t have to end with a guilty verdict. For many clients who have been wrongfully convicted or suffered from a misapplication of law, the appeals process is a real opportunity to right the wrong that has been done. We often work with clients to turn around a negative outcome during appeals.
Call for Help Now
If you have been charged with a federal crime or have reason to believe charges may be forthcoming, don’t hesitate to contact one of the experienced Los Angeles criminal defense attorneys at Wex Law today. Call (213) 986-9844 to schedule a free and completely private evaluation.
Contact us today so we can deliver real solutions for you.
Call: (844) 4WEX-LAW